Blog post 3

1. What sites are students using for their professional network?

Students seem to currently be using LinkedIn, email, and school websites to showcase their professional networks. Many websites can vary between students however, the three mentioned above are predominantly used. With education being primarily online, many educational institutions have chosen like zoom as platforms for means of communication. This has spread throughout many academic institutions because of class restriction.

2. What can you (as a student consider expanding your network (professionally)?

As a student, I should consider using LinkedIn more actively, as future employers will be searching for potential candidates as well as connect with students from similar faculties. As mentioned above because of covid 19 restrictions-students are using zoom academically. This app in itself will aid students in expanding their professional networks because it makes room for conversation, relationship development, and participation.

3. In your network- how can you create a digital identity? Reputation?

I can create a digital identity by updating my current professional and academic platforms. Updating my resume, updating courses I have taken in post-secondary, and any volunteer work or school activities done with this professionalism in mind.

4. Consider a local employer- can they search the content? Is it a benefit to the career path? Does it hinder the opportunity for employment?

A local employer can absolutely search for content on future prospects. One benefit and loss of the internet is you can find pretty much any information about anything or anyone. This being said- it is important to be mindful of what you are posting on social media platforms because potential employers can see this information if it’s public. My current- social media is on private- so potential employers would have to request to follow me if they want to see any content. However, that being said my social media is professional and presentable at any given time. As we’reseeing in 2020, many allegations from social media have followed professionals causing some sort of scandal and have unfortunately ended their professional careers because of it. These platforms can be used to aid potential employers to find the best fit for the company.

check out my V&R map

EDCI 338 Blog post 3 VR map

1. jessemiller

Awesome to see the hand-written notes shared into the blog.

2. John Curtis

Hi Nicole!

I’m definitely in the same boat as you with regards to not using LinkedIn enough. I found what got me to use it more was to follow brands that I loved both as a consumer and in professional circles (e.g. Lululemon with their great customer service and great quality clothes). Often times the only indications you get of the actual success of a company is on either business websites or LinkedIn, as stuff like that isn’t posted on other social media platforms like Instagram, Facebook and Snapchat. I find it really interesting because companies often post about goings-on within themselves, which allows me to really appreciate what my favourite brands are doing to improve.

3. mikaylaolesen

Hi Nicole! I like how you touched on how professionals have had their careers taken from them through actions made on their social media accounts. I think this an important topic that a lot of people forget about. Sometimes you can feel like your in your own world in your social media account, when in reality anyone in your life can have access to it. So its important to be cautious of what you are posting and who could potential come across it, otherwise you could be jeopardizing opportunities for your future self.

4. xizhang

Hi Nicole! I think you have an exceellent understanding on the relation between PLN and career development. Thank you for recommending Linkedin and I think that’s a great tool for students to build their professional PLN.