Blog Post 7

1. Identify the risks and benefits of engaging with a public audience in a media space – what are the risks for a public figure or person in a position of trust (educator, lawyer, government official)?

Social media allows an individual/ public figure to post virtually anything they want (depending on the platform). Which allows for many benefits and risks for the individual. One interesting thing that platforms have done, is to allow for an individual of trust to get verified so that other users know that you’re communicating with either that individual or their PR team. Let’s start with some benefits, firstly social media allows individuals to get new ideas for content, connect with new and existing audience members and enhance the platform or brand image (or name).  Even though we have quite a few benefits- they certainly do not outweigh the risks. Being a public figure on social media the risks are exponential; risk of harassment, risk of a restraining order, risk of public humiliation, risk of a privacy breach, risk of home invasion, etc.

1. How do notable individuals use social media?

Notable individuals that I follow use social media to promote their brands and/or companies they collaborate with. However, are not only restricted to posting about their professional lives-some share personal posts as well. The reason they do this- is to expand their network and influence. As a consumer, I am much more inclined to purchase a good with a personal story attached. However, sharing too much is obviously an issue as well- some notable individuals find it impossible to separate personal and professional lives on social media. This can cause an influx of issues for the individual, a prime example of this would be Donald Trump.

1. What are the benefits of being in the public eye and having a PLN? (career development in the public eye)

The benefits of being in the public eye and having a PLN are exponential. Firstly, 2020 is the time for the digital world. It’s interesting because you can see when YouTube started in the early 2000s bloggers that started during its launch are now millionaires at the age of 22. The internet is an incredible thing that allows access to tons of information. For example, I have seen many online companies that started back in at the beginning of Covid. And since then their following has jumped from a couple hundred following on social media to fifty thousand because it blew up on Tik Tok. Career development is a positive aspect of social media- being a professional in a certain industry.

1. Building a community with online tools provided by the employer can be limiting, what are the perceived restrictions and benefits of having social media directly associated with employment? (verified accounts because of employment, accounts that are professional versus personal, hybrid accounts)

Being a public figure engaging with users on a public platform, everything you do on social media can have repercussions if necessary. We’re seeing lately that many public figures have lost their job and/or contracts with companies because of controversial topics spoken about online. When a public figure and a company’s values don’t align there is cause for termination. It is important that an individual posts professional ideas that also align with the companies values.

1. Delivering information in a connected society requires verifiable resources, how does one build a PLN that can be consistently relied on?

One can build a PLN that can be consistently relied on by posting content that agrees with your own values, making sure that any involvement with corporations- that their values are the same of the individual, the individual posts consistently with accurate content, the individual only endorses products that are genuinely good and that they believe in, and finally sourcing information an individual is claiming.

1. How do those, who are veteran storytellers, minimize risk in sharing misinformation?

Veteran storytellers can minimize risk in sharing misinformation by only sharing information they know is accurate. By staying in their area of expertise, storytellers can ensure information is valid and precise. Another way storytellers can minimize risk is by documenting all their findings/research. This record-keeping can promote the organization of ideas, opinions, experiences, etc. and can guarantee legitimacy as time goes on.

Hirst, M. Navigating social journalism.

1. qiamingz

I think your post is quite clear and well-organized. I agree that notable individuals prefer to use social media to promote their brands and/or companies they collaborate with. As I mentioned in my post, social media can be considered as one of the most useful and effective tools for those people to use their influence to form income. Also, I really liked how you explained the benefits of being in the public eye and having a PLN. The example that you provided in your post is very clear and useful, which is about Tik Tok. In China, most young people have an account on Tik Tok, even they do not make short-videos, they watch them almost every day. For people who have plenty of followers, they also use their Tik Tok accounts to promote products or services directly as well. So, I definitely agree that “the internet is an incredible thing that allows access to tons of information” and promote career development.

2. mikaylaolesen

Hi Nicole, I really enjoyed reading this post as I thought you had many interesting points that I hadn’t even considered! I liked how you mentioned that you were much more inclined to buy something that an influencer was promoting if it had a personal story/experience attached to it. I definitely agree with this statements and I have noticed over the last few years that a lot of influencers are using their kids/significant others/dogs, etc. to promote products. Goes to show that a lot of social media uses are using their personal life to promote or sell a product and therefore, promote their professional PLN.