Blog Post 6

1.How does social media help engage in community-based communications?

Social media can help with engagement in community-based communications by building credibility within the community. Online platforms allow us to communicate with one another and build meaningful relationships. Creating this relationship will form trust with the community as well.

1. How does social media challenge community-based communications?

It can be argued that too many users are glued to their phones, either at home, in public, or at private/social events. This can inhibit us from having those meaningful conversations and making connections in real-time. Altogether this is seen as a cost to society because opportunities are being missed.

1. Are there cultural sensitivities that should be considered?

Cultural sensitivities involve the belief of accepting that all cultures and ethnicities are created differently yet equal to one another. I believe that cultural sensitives should be considered all the time not just in a workplace environment. Diversification creates an opportunity where everyone can share their knowledge, understanding, and skillset.

1. What should your PLN say about you as you communicate to the public via social media or communication tools?

My PLN should represent a well-rounded and respectful individual who is hardworking and very positive. I tend to set short- and long-term goals for myself in all aspects of my life (education, work, fitness, health) in which employers can clearly see on my social media. This shows that dedication, patience, and hard work are all personal traits exercised often in my day-day life. These attributes can show employers that I can be diligent and reliable; two skills employers look for.

1. What does it mean to balance your professional expectations and your personal beliefs- in curating a PLN for the purpose of career development?

I think when curating a PLN for the purpose of career development- it’s a good idea to establish boundaries between the platforms so users can get the information desired from that platform. More specific platforms are generally a good idea anyway- so users don’t get lost in the content (sharing professional advice and then sharing a personal post). In addition, it is important to note that not everyone shares the same opinions and beliefs as you- employers have a right to disagree with certain beliefs and terminate employment if necessary. Lastly, it can come across as unprofessional when an employer can see your personal social media accounts.

1. Jiani Yang

Hello!
    I also think real-time connection is important for us. Especially for many young people, even they have frequent social in the network. In real life, they are not integrated into the society.

2. qiamingz

Hi!
    I think your post is very clear and useful. In my post, I did not provide too much ideas on cultural sensitivities; however, after reading your post, I have a much better and clearer understanding of this part. I definitely agree that “cultural sensitivities involve the belief of accepting that all cultures and ethnicities are created differently yet equal to one another”. In my opinion, in an online community-based communication, all voices from different people are allowed and they can also have different thoughts or ideas as well. Also, it is quite important and necessary for us to respect all different opinions from people who have different cultures or backgrounds.